When my computer crashed the other week, I had to get a new computer. It has Windows 7 instead of XP. My Accu-Chek Compass software no longer worked so I called Accu-Chek and they sent me the Accu-Chek 360° software. Besides the Windows issue, the new computer does not have a serial port so I was not able to hook-up the cable that went with the Compass software. The new software has a USB cable.
The software came last week and I was able to load it without any problems. This morning, I went to open the software so I could download my meter and it would not open. The other night, I downloaded a Windows update and that messed up several things on my computer so my guess is that is what happened to the Accu-Chek software also. There was a repair function on the install disk so I tried to do that – I got a different error this time and it had to do with the SQL Server software that Accu-Chek uses.
I called Accu-Chek again and spent over an hour on the phone with the technician. He tapped into my computer and tried to change some of the settings but ended up having to uninstall both the SQL Server software and the Accu-Chek 360° software. While we were waiting, I mentioned that the one thing I liked better about the old software was the fact that when you closed it, it would ask you if you wanted to backup first. It was a nice habit to get into. He told me that the backup doesn’t really work right. He also mentioned being able to export data into Excel but it looks kind of crappy. By that point, I had been on the phone for awhile with him so did not ask what he meant by the backup not working right.
Once the software loaded and he opened it, I said that I would be able to take it from there getting everything setup how I wanted it. I then went to the restore feature and guess what – I was not able to restore my backup. I had an error message that parts of the backup file were not found. I decided to download my meter and backed that up. I again tried to do a restore and that did not work – same message.
Since he mentioned exporting it to Excel, I created an export file. I was able to pull it into Excel, but would obviously have to spend time creating formulas to get averages and stuff like my standard deviation. I then tried to import the file back, but of course, the file type was different than the one for Excel. I did another export in the file type it needs to import. When I tried to import that, it only contained one record.
I have some other stuff I want to get done so I am not going to call Accu-Chek about this until next week, but I am really disappointed in this software if they put a backup/restore function in there and it doesn’t work. There is a reason people backup data – so they don’t lose it. We should not have to wait until there is a problem to find out that function does not work.