Friday I wrote that I decided to try the pump again because I suspected I had some bad Levemir again. I wanted to make sure that it wasn’t something with me causing the problem. Animas replaced the Ping that died in March last year and the pump has been sitting in a drawer and was not used until when I opened it up on Friday. Someone told me that she was changing her sites every 24 hours to avoid site problems so I thought that was worth trying.
It was around noon on Friday when I put the first site. For the most part, I did really well with that. I used the Orbit Micro sets first because the needle is thinner and sites seem to do better with them. My one problem with the Orbits is if I turn over and sleep on a site at night, I seem to cut my insulin off. I woke up a little high Saturday morning because I slept on the site, but the correction worked a little too well and I was low before I knew it.
When I changed the site out at noon on Saturday, I decided to use the Contact Detach sets. I don’t like those because the needle is thicker and they hurt. They also never seemed to last as long and I tend to bleed a lot and get bruising. I had good blood sugar until I went to bed Saturday night and woke up high. Corrections were not working so I changed the site out about 10 AM Sunday morning and my blood sugar went back to normal. I didn’t get 24 hours out of the first site with the Contact Detach.
As far as site problems, Saturday evening I started getting pretty itchy where the Orbit one was. By Sunday morning, I had a nice red welt where the site was and I still have the red welt. I have bruising with the two Contact Detach sites, but the “holes” where the needle was stuck in are hardly noticeable at all, even though they were itchy while I was using them
Sunday I was tired and decided to take a nap. When I woke up, I was low. My blood sugar started going up and my first thought was that I over treated the low. Corrections weren’t working and I kept going higher. About 7 PM Sunday evening, I thought that site died also and would need changed. When I went to pull the site, I noticed that there was a lot of air in the tubing – I had that problem with the other two Animas Pings. I am not going round again with Animas. Third time is a charm and I only wore this pump 55 hours before starting to have problems. I did go thru all the procedures to help prevent bubbles. My insulin was sitting out before putting it in the cartridge and the cartridge sat upright before putting it in the pump. I give up!
I know a bunch of people using Minimed pumps and don’t seem to have all the problems that I have had. I am going to call MM and see if I can get some kind of trade in for a defective Ping. There are things about pumping that I really like and I thought I finally found a way around the site issues.
Because I had bad Levemir, I started taking Apidra every two hours to work as a basal insulin. For the most part, I have had very good readings. Once I pulled the pump, it took about two hours for my blood sugar to come down and other than at 7 AM this morning, I was running between 70 and 104. I was in the 90s at 5 AM so thought I would bump the Apidra up a little. That was a mistake because I was 40 when my alarm went off at 7. The rest of the day has been doing pretty good. Too bad that I need to get sleep because taking Apidra every two hours seems to work the best for me.