Unofficial Basal Testing, Sort Of

I have been having some whacky blood sugars this week – going a little low after breakfast and then up over 200 around lunch time. I wasn’t sure if the lows after breakfast were from needing to adjust my breakfast Apidra or the highs were rebounds or needing more Levemir. The sure-fire way to figure things out is to do some basal testing, but … Normally I don’t mind doing some basal testing when I need to but … it is cold out and I have been freezing. When I don’t eat, I get even colder.  I know, excuses, excuses.  There was no way I was going to give up coffee and tea to do basal testing. I would surely freeze to death!

I have been working on a little project this week and Wednesday and Thursday nights, stayed up very late – which is not normal for me. Actually Wednesday night, I didn’t go to bed until about 5:30 AM Thursday morning. When I got upstairs and looked at the clock, I cringed when I realized that my alarm would be going off in about 1 ½ hours to take my Levemir.

Then I got the bright idea that I would take my Levemir early so I wouldn’t have to hear the alarm at 7. I have been having some problems with DP and my Levemir starts wearing off before the 8 hours is off. I tested my blood sugar before going upstairs and I was around 120 so taking the Levemir early should not be a problem.

I fell sound asleep and around 11 AM, I started hearing this very loud, “MEOW, MEOW, MEOW.” My cat has a bowl of dry food so even though she gets some canned food for breakfast, there was food out if she was hungry. There was no reason in the world for her to have to wake me up! I tried to go back to sleep, but she kept getting louder so I decided that the only way to shut her up was for me to get up and feed her. I grabbed my meter and was very surprised to see this:

Blood sugar 37

My first thoughts were that there was more of an overlap than I thought there would be and that was what caused the low.

Thursday night, I stayed up late again. When the night started, I was determined that I was NOT going to stay up all night like I did the night before. About 1 AM an email came in via the contact form in my blog. It was from the Australian Diabetic Living magazine. They thought that I was the idea behind the Diabetic Barbie and wanted some pictures. I emailed her back that it wasn’t my idea, but I would give her message to the mother of the little girl that came up with the idea. Fortunately, Emma’s mother was up late also so a few messages were flying back and forth. It was about 3:30 AM when I up to bed.

When my alarm went off at 7 Friday morning, I shut the alarm off and grabbed my Levemir pen. I was bad and didn’t test my blood sugar. I just took my Levemir and rolled back over.  About 10:30, I woke up to this:

Blood sugar 42

I know that the proper way to do basal testing is to test every 1-2 hours and when I do mine, I test every hour. But I went for a period without eating and when I did test, I was low so that tells me it wasn’t my Apidra causing my problems. This morning, I cut back my Levemir some. So far, it has been a much smoother ride!

stats for wordpress


2 thoughts on “Unofficial Basal Testing, Sort Of

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s