Bone Scan and Foot Update

X-ray out of orderSince I have been doing the NHBPM, I haven’t been talking about what is going on with my foot. When I saw my doctor on November 5th, he had the results back from the MRI and they were inconclusive. They said that they couldn’t say that I had osteomyelitis and they weren’t ruling it out either. He wanted me to get a Ceretec bone scan – they take your white blood cells out of your blood and inject them back into you for the scan. If you have an infection, the white blood cells will gather around the infected area. They said it was about a 6 hour test.

I had that done yesterday. I had to be at the hospital at 7 AM for them to take my blood. They sent it to a nuclear lab to take the white blood cells out. I was told to come back at 10:30. We were in the waiting area a little after 10 and the tech came past. She said she had my blood back so would process it and come back for me. She injected it in and took two scans of my feet – they were about 6 minutes each. I was told to come back again at 1:15 and there would be two more scans. She told me that the radiologist would have to look at them before I left.

When she did those last 2 scans, she took them to the radiologist. She came back and said that he wanted another one with my feet on the camera. After he saw that one, he wanted another one that the camera rotated around my feet – that one was a 20 minute one. After he looked at those, he also wanted a regular x-ray. It was 3:15 when we left the hospital – a very long day!

I saw my doctor this afternoon. He seemed concerned when I told him about the extra scans and went out of the room and told one of his employees to call the hospital and get the report. He finished with my foot and then went to see other patients while waiting for the fax. I heard him on the phone calling the radiologist. The radiologist was on the phone so he told them that he needed clarification on the report and to have him call right away.

After the radiologist called, he came in to talk to me again. I don’t have an infection in the bone but I do have soft tissue inflammation. He said that the radiologist brought up the possibility that my bone graft that I had done is dying. I didn’t know that was even a possibility. I asked him if it was possible that my body was just rejecting it since I have all these weird allergies now.  He said that was also a possibility.

He said that the wound itself doesn’t look infected so he wants to hold off on putting me back on antibiotics. I told him that I haven’t felt good and my BS is out of whack. When I am on the antibiotics, I feel fine but as soon as I stop, I feel crappy again and my BS goes out of whack. I know something is not right. I asked him if he would at least do a SED rate and he agreed. He gave me a slip to stop at the lab and get that and a CBC done.

He said he also wanted me to have a regular bone scan done. When he gave his check out person the script, he wrote CT bone scan on it. More tests!

I don’t know what they would do if the bone graft is actually dying or if my body is rejecting it. I do know that I am not going to let them chop my foot off.



4 thoughts on “Bone Scan and Foot Update

  1. Kelly- I’m so sorry that you have to go through all of this. Thinking of you and hoping that the doctors find a fixable problem.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s